Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Homeschooling and crickets

Remy is almost two. At least she'll be two in July. And she's beginning to need more structure in her day. That's where my having been a teacher of two-year-olds comes in handy, not to mention homeschooling five kiddos all the way through high school!

I'm rather excited about homeschooling again. For this summer, though, we're just going to start establishing more routines. Right now, we have a movie in the morning when she wants to cuddle, then nap time, then whatever she wants to do in the afternoon. Sometimes that means playing with her Veggie Tales toys, or her shape sorter, or her peg board, or reading a book. I try to play with her so that she has some interaction in her play.

But for now, I think I'll direct her play a bit more. Like today I gave her a whole bunch of almonds and some scoops and boxes and let her scoop and dump from one box to the other until she was tired of it. And she kept eating the almonds, too, which is okay by me since she's a somewhat picky eater.

It got me all keyed up to start "doing" homeschool, but I need to slow it down and not go overboard. I tend to jump in with both feet instead of feeling the temperature one toe at a time. Moderation in everything, I always say. (I don't believe it, I just say it!)

Heard in the family:

Annie and Sarah (2 years old)

"So we found a "pet" cricket earlier today, and Sarah is delighted. She watched it jump around for awhile and then said, "I take it my fwoggie to da swimmin' poo!" So we all cracked up and tried to convince her it's called a cricket, not a froggie. So tonight she happened upon the cricket again, and came squealing into the living room, shouting, "I FOUND IT DA CRICK!" :D"


Did you ever wonder what the differences among crickets, grasshoppers, locusts and katydids are? I wondered, so I researched it and here are the main differences:

CharacteristicGrasshoppers & LocustsCrickets & Katydids
Antennaeshortlong
Auditory Organson the abdomenon the forelegs
Stridulationrubbing the hind leg against the forewingrubbing forewings together
Ovipositorsshortlong, extended
Activitydiurnalnocturnal
Feeding Habitsherbivorouspredatory, omnivorous, or herbivorous

Now aren't you glad you know this?

No comments:

Post a Comment